Model Train Derailment Causes And Prevention |?
Download your free e-book at
There can be multiple causes for model train derailments, but there are some common problems that can cause model trains to derail and come crashing off the track.
Sometimes only one car will derail, and other times several cars will jump the track. This can not only be frustrating for the model railroader, but it can also result in damaged trains, scenery, accessories. and track. Common causes can affect trains on just one section of track, or the problems can cause derailments on several locations on a model railroad layout. If the problems are across the entire layout, then that can point to a problem with a particular locomotive, or piece of rolling stock, and most likely has something to do with the wheels, trucks, weighting, or couplers. When trains derail on the same piece of track it is usually an indication of problems with a section of track, a turnout or switch, a rail join, or perhaps the slope of the track.
This part 1 video looks a some of the causes of model train derailments, and how to prevent them from happening.
1. Keep rolling stock and your track free from grime and dust
2. All electrical connections and controls must be kept clean
3. Do preventative maintenance
4. Lubricate your train wheels and couplers
5. A wheel (or coupler) requiring lubrication could cause jarring, snagging, or even a roll-over
6. Lubricate sparingly because oil does attract dust and can damage some paintwork
7. Check the weight of your cars and wagons
8. You might need to add a little more weight to some cars and wagons
9. If cars and wagons are too light, all the wheels might not connect equally with the track
10. This can be really noticeable on tight curves
11. A little extra weight can usually help avoid derailments and your train will run more smoothly on the track
12. The key to better track traction is to achieve a low center of gravity
13. Add the weight in the center as low as possible on the wagon or car
No model railroader wants a train wreck to occur on their train layout, so hopefully, these tips for preventing derails helps avoid or overcome problems.
?Don’t Forget To Subscribe: ?